Wednesday, November 17, 2010

NOLA Girls Trip

I mentioned that I went to New Orleans a couple of weeks back to visit my friend, Jen, for her 30th birthday. Jen and her husband, Mark, used to be stationed at the Naval hospital in our former town, and all of us moved at about the same time -- Jen and Mark to New Orleans, where Jen is from, and my crew to the country. We miss Jen and Mark terribly, so I jumped at the chance to visit Jen -- especially because I had never been to New Orleans before and because Jen is such a wonderful hostess.

When I turned 30, my friend Meg, who was also turning 30, and I celebrated by going with some girlfriends to New York City. It was my first time to that city (I don't get out much!), and Jen planned the entire trip, and it was fabulous, so I knew this trip to her city would be equally fabulous.

I traveled with my friend, LP, and our long weekend got off to a little bit of a rough start. Our first flight was pretty delayed, so we almost missed our connecting flight; we were literally running through Dulles -- and of course we landed in Concourse D and were supposed to fly out of Concourse A. The worst part is that LP is pregnant and was having trouble keeping up a sprint (heck, I was having trouble keeping up a sprint -- I. do. not. run), so I ran on to try to get the plane to wait on us. Luckily we caught our flight by the skin of our teeth and got to New Orleans as planned. The lady checking our boarding passes was really not the friendliest, though. As I was huffing and puffing and trying to explain to her that LP was on her way and to please not give her seat away to the guys waiting in the standby line, she just looked at me and told me that we should have gotten there in time...

We were joined on our trip by Jen's sister-in-law, Alissa. I had met Alissa in New York and again over this past summer, but I really got to know her over this NOLA trip, and she is a lot of fun. Mark flew her in as a birthday surprise for Jen, and it was great to have her along for Jen's 30th birthday weekend.

Back to the weekend...

We started off our trip with beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe Du Monde:


Mmmm, I can taste that fried dough and powdered sugar now. It was all so good! And so good for you, too! Oh, but it was worth it!!

Then we went on a carriage ride through the Quarter and took in some sights:



After our carriage ride we did some shopping, grabbed some lunch, then went back to Jen's house to rest a little before heading out to Jen's birthday dinner that night. We got some masks that we had all intentions of wearing at the dinner, but we only wore them inside Jen's house:




Cute Jen and Mark, host and hostess extraordinaire:


Blowing out candles (the first of many times during the weekend!)!!:





The next morning we sat around and chatted for a while (and ate the best blue cheese bread...yum!...I am not kidding when I tell you that all we did was eat!) and then got ready slowly before our brunch at Commanders Palace. There, I stuffed myself yet again. I had the best Bloody Mary and Pecan Crusted Gulf Fish among other things. Mmmmm...wish I could have that right now, too. Makes the tacos I had for dinner tonight seem pretty blech.

Of course, we had to sing Happy Birthday to Jen there, too!




After brunch we went to do some shopping on Magazine Street and to walk off some of the brunch we just ate. Later we went back to Jen's before going out for drinks and dinner (stuffed again!). Sunday morning we woke up and packed, went to brunch, and headed to the airport.

I was sad to leave Jen and Mark behind, but I was happy to head home to see my little family -- and I was also happy to take a little break from all the eating!

Jen did a great job planning our stay as usual -- and she was even feeling under the weather! I can't wait to go back and take The Farmer (who also leads a sheltered life and has never been to New Orleans); now I just have to figure out the perfect time!

And, finally, my favorite picture from the weekend:

...just keepin' it real! ;-)

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey there! You look GORGEOUS!!!! Seriously, I saw some of these pictures when Jen tagged you in them on FB and I meant to say something then - but you look really beautiful! I also love your purse and coat...and ivory is a great color on you!

Sounds like it was such a fun trip, full of yummy food and great company! Happy 30th bday to your friend...I know she loved celebrating it with you there.

I'maNolaGirl said...

I loved reliving such an amazing weekend, but now I'm sad because I wish we would be seeing you sooner than I know we will. WE MISS YOU and your whole gang!!!

Isn't that last picture hysterical!!! It looks like you're sheltering your eyes from the naughtiness that is Bourbon St!!

PS - rereading how we spent our weekend, I realized why I need to go on a diet. All we did was eat!

Katie said...

Fun! Dinner at Commander's Palace was seriously the best meal that I have ever eaten!

 
Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs