Sunday, December 12, 2010

It Wasn't Your Typical Day...

On Thursday I had to go to a meeting at a farm in Georgia with Uncle Mac and my sister. Uncle Mac and Hunter flew over here to pick me up, and then we flew over to a small airport in this teeny town in Georgia.

I had never flown in a small airplane before. Uncle Mac is a pilot and has been for a long time, but I have never flown with him. I don't mind flying in big planes, but I admit I was a little nervous about flying in a small one. I totally trust Uncle Mac -- he is a very conscientious flyer -- but still; those little planes don't seem to be the safest things to me.

The flying part was totally fine. I don't know what I was worried about. It was a bit bumpy getting up to a good altitude and then coming back down for a landing, but other than that, we had pretty smooth flying. And it was a lot faster than driving!

When we got to the airport in Georgia, it was unattended and didn't have a car rental place nearby. So, evidently, it is a courtesy to pilots to be picked up by the local police when this is the case (or at least it was in this town -- I don't know if it is in other places?). So, Hunter and I got to ride in the back of a police car into town!

If you're counting, that's two firsts for the day: first small airplane ride and first ride in a police car.



(Don't know why this one is so small)

The sheriff's deputy who picked us up took us to the jail -- yes, I am serious -- where we picked up another police car for us to drive. This one was unmarked. We asked him directions to the farm where we were having our meeting, and instead of just telling us where the farm was, he lead us out there -- going at least 15 miles over the speed limit the entire time.

I think there must be a lot of crime to fight in rural Georgia.

We had our meeting, which included a 30 minute ride out to a freezing cold onion field so that Uncle Mac could stand in the back of a pickup truck and "rally the troops", if you will, to come work at our farm this summer. On the ride out the the field we had to follow a guy, Omar, who also drove at least 15 miles over the speed limit.

Omar then tried to take us to lunch at this family dining place, but when we walked in the lady said "I'm sorry, you're too late; you should have been here earlier." and refused to feed us.

It was 1:12.

And what was worse, she and four other people were sitting around a table eating!

After we finished lunch, we headed back to the police station to drop off our unmarked car and catch a ride back to the airport -- this time with a policeman who had definitely been into the donuts -- he weighed at least 400 pounds.

I have never had the possibility of so many good Facebook status updates before!

And here is my PSA from the day: Make all attempts to stay on the right side of the law as they don't make the back seat of police cars very comfortable for criminals!



No comments:

 
Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs