Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Lucky 7

I feel like I have at least three jobs right now: mom, farm bookkeeper, and house builder. My life is really busy right now because it is spring time and spring brings planting and busyness to the farm which means that we get busier in the office because we have more employees and bills to pay, and this year we are putting in an H2A contract, which means that we are asking for workers from Mexico or other countries outside the US to come pick tomatoes. This spring is even busier for me than usual because I am trying to nail down all of my plumbing and lighting decisions, counter tops, cabinetry and basically anything that I can do in advance before we get really busy on the farm and I don't have the time to do it. I have had many meetings after work that last until at least 7 or later, and then I have an hour drive home. And then I have my normal mom duties -- cooking, keeping the house straight, laundry, grocery shopping.

It calls for some wine and some whining.


So, anyway, here's some stuff that's been going on aside from all of that:


1. Brad was up all night last night doing frost protection which means that I got to get up extra early and wake the kids up this morning, which is his usual job. I am not a morning person. I have tried to be a morning person, but it just hasn't ever happened. I hate 6 am with a passion.

2. We have had some crazy weather lately -- hail, wind, rain, heat, cold. It is a little stressful when you make your living off farming and you literally put millions of dollars into the ground each year; you do everything in your power to make the crop grow the best you can and you baby those plants, but you just have to have faith where the weather is concerned. And then you throw in regulations by the government. And then you throw in the general public who think that they know better than you do how things should be grown. It makes me think of the bumper sticker on my brother's truck "When you gripe about the farmer, don't talk with your mouth full." People think their food just sprouts in the grocery store and have no idea the blood, sweat, and tears that go into getting it there, really.

And that is my soapbox about that for tonight.

3. I get these emails about the development of 8-year-olds (Tyler), 5-year-olds (Sanders), and 3-year-olds (Gibson), and today I got the one about 8-year-olds and it said something about how talkative they are. You think? Tyler seriously talks from the time she gets up until the time she goes to bed. Unless we are in public and an adult asks her a question -- then she is a mute. It is so frustrating because that is exactly how I was as a child.

But all that talking? It wears me out. Really, everyone in my family is a talker, including Brad. Sometimes I just long for some peace and quiet.

4. My desire to go to the Keys is just getting worse and worse. And I have no immediate or future plans to go. Boo!

5. My boyfriend got married last week. Sigh...



6. I decided to do something productive with my commute to work, so I have been listening to some sermons from our church. For some reason (probably because I am not all that technologically savvy), only random sermons are uploading to my iPod, but I listened to these two this morning. They are worth a listen if you have time. Here and here. The first is by our bishop and the second is by our rector. I was hoping to hear one from my friend, Andrew, this morning -- I have actually missed a couple of his last ones and wanted to catch up as they are also always good -- but I need to find them and figure out how to get them on my darn iPod.

7. Duke the Dog is getting snipped tomorrow, and I don't mean a haircut. Then he has to wear one of those lampshade things for 10 days to 2 weeks. Um, yeah. I see that going really well. He is a wild animal -- really, I think he is part wolf -- so I don't know how he is going to stand the lampshade. It shall be interesting...

Um, okay, that is a bunch of randomness if I ever saw it...have a great night!

No comments:

 
Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs