Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Menu Monday

(I started this post yesterday and never got around to finishing it...here it is...)

I am so tired this evening.  I haven't slept well in three nights, and it has been one of those rainy, yucky days.  I am ready to get in the bed...


But, I haven't done Menu Monday in a while, so I wanted to do it tonight.  Last week, my mother-in-law was out of town for a couple of nights, so Brad and I fed my father-in-law for most of the week.  I definitely got away from the normal semi-healthy cooking that we do around here -- my FIL is more of a meat and potatoes kind of guy.


Here is our menu:


Monday: leftovers -- I really can't even remember what leftovers.  That is a bad sign.


Tuesday: Marinated pork tenderloin, macaroni and cheese, roasted broccoli.


Wednesday: Crock Pot BBQ and Simple Slaw


Thursday: hamburgers from our local meat market


Friday: we went out to dinner


Saturday: Brad's cousins were in town, and his parents made this delicious (but not diet friendly!) meal of fried shrimp and fish, french fries, hush puppies, and coleslaw.  Mmmmm!!!


Sunday: leftovers


__________________________________________


I know I also said that I was going to give you my tips for the Southern Living cake.  Some of these were passed on to me from my friend, Sharon, and some I read in the reviews on Southern Living's link to the recipe:


1. I halved the sugars -- both the white and brown.


2. Instead of using applesauce, I used plain Greek yogurt.


3. Instead of using canola oil, I used applesauce.


4. Some reviews said that the cake needed a little more apple flavor, so Sharon said that she added extra apple and a bit of apple cider.  She also said that that might have been a bit too much, so instead of adding extra apples, I just added a splash of apple cider (we got the cider when we got the apples in North Carolina, so I had some on hand).  I thought the cake had just enough apple flavor.


5. This isn't really a tip, but if you are a picker like me, you may want to make extra icing -- that stuff is delicious, and I found myself wanting to stick my finger in it over and over again!  (Don't worry -- I used a clean finger!)


I know it sounds weird that I substituted the yogurt for the applesauce and then the applesauce for the canola oil, but it worked -- my cake was really moist (I hate that word) and really delicious.  I served it at the luncheon before Brad's grandmother's funeral, and it disappeared quickly!


No comments:

 
Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs