Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Day for BooBoos

I was making my way home from work on Tuesday, and I was pretty happy with myself because I was leaving at a decent hour. It takes me an hour and a half to get home, and I feel like most days I am in a huge rush to get home by 5:30 so that I can start the routine of dinner, checking homework, bath time, and bed time.

Anyway, I was talking on the cell phone and the babysitter beeped in. I told Margaret that I needed to get the other call, and when I answered, the babysitter said in a rush "Christie, I need the number for Miss Louise (my mother-in-law). Bubba fell and knocked his tooth, and it is bleeding and about to fall out, and I don't do well with teeth, and I need her to come pull it out!"

I started freaking out because I am an hour and a half away at this point and can't do anything about my baby being hurt or anything about his tooth, which is evidently out or about to fall out. I gave the babysitter my MIL's numbers, told her to put the tooth in milk if it fell out, and then called our dentist (who is, thankfully, a good friend) to find out what the heck we should do, especially since we now live over an hour from her office. Once I get on the phone with her and she starts asking me questions, I realize that I don't know what tooth it is, whether it is actually out, if it is just dangling, or what the situation is. So, she asks for the babysitter's number, and they talk it over, and thankfully my MIL has made it over to my house by that point. Katherine, our dentist friend, and Louise decide that Bubba needs to be seen, so Louise and I start driving towards each other so that we can meet on the road for a Bubba exchange.

Luckily, Katherine decided that Bubba's tooth did not need to be pulled. It is definitely pushed back a bit from the other teeth, and she said that there is a 50/50 chance that it will turn black, but at least the tooth was saved. Bubba has done plenty of complaining about his tooth being sore, which I am sure it is. I can't imagine how much it would hurt to knock a tooth loose by falling on my face! Hopefully Bubba learned not to run through the house in only socks. Probably not, though.

That was not our only booboo on Tuesday...

On our way home from visiting Katherine, I was talking to my sister, and she said that her daughter had just fallen and her tooth had gone all the way through her bottom lip! She was trying to decide whether the hole in the lip warranted a trip to the Emergency Room, but the pediatrician on-call told her that there wasn't much that could be done. Poor little H was bleeding all over the place and screaming and crying in the background.

Then, when Bubba and I got home, Sassy came out to the car to meet us. She looked so forlorn, and when I looked at her closely, I noticed that she had a blue-green goose-egg on her forehead with a little cut on it. I asked her what in the world happened to her, and she told me that she had a bike accident. She was wearing a long dress riding her bike, it got caught in the pedals, and she did a nose-dive. The result was a bloody lip, a bruised cheek, and the goose-egg with a little cut on her forehead.

Luckily that was the end of our booboos, but my children went to school on Wednesday looking like they have child abusers for parents.

(Which, by the way, they don't.)

(Sassy, by the way, has a problem with vanity, because she kept telling me she did "not want to go to school looking like this." Who knew a five-year-old would care so much about a goose-egg on her head?")

Hopefully that is our fair share of booboos for a while...

No comments:

 
Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs