Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Holiday Eating Tips


Pecan Pie -- One of my faves!
                                 
Source: myrecipes.com via Jamie on Pinterest
       

Hello!  Merry Christmas!  I hope y'all have all had a wonderful time celebrating Christmas like we have.  In fact, we are still recovering from all of the celebrating!

I have to admit that right before Christmas I was feeling pretty down on myself for all of the over-eating I had been doing since, oh, Halloween.  I definitely have not been watching what I eat, unless you consider watching it go in my mouth watching what I eat.  And exercise?  Who has time for that with all of the parties and gatherings and shopping and trying to fit in work in between everything else?

Suffice it to say I have had a pity party or two over all of this excess...as I stuffed in another cookie/piece of pie/slice of cheese/glass of wine!

But then I got this forward from my mother that made me feel all better...at least through the holidays.  I wanted to share it before Christmas, but I didn't get a chance. Since it technically is still the holidays since we haven't hit the New Year yet, I thought I would still share it:

HOLIDAY EATING TIPS



1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table


knows nothing of the Holiday spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave


immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.




2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. It's rare... You cannot


find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has


10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an


eggnog-alcoholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have


two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas!




3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy.


Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of your mashed


potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.




4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or


whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car


with an automatic transmission.



5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your


eating. The whole point of going to a Holiday party is to eat other people's


food for free. Lots of it. Hello?



6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's.


You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the


time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while

carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog.



7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted


Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa, position yourself near


them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of


attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind,


you're never going to see them again.



8. Same for pies. Apple, Pumpkin, Mincemeat. Have a slice of each. Or if you


don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three.


When else do you get to have more than one dessert? Labor Day?



9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory


celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards.



10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or


get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention. Re-read tips;


start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner. Remember this


motto to live by:



"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving


safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in


sideways, chocolate in one hand and wine in the other, body thoroughly used


up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"


Now, don't you feel better?  I sure do!  Now, go out and celebrate...then we can all get "back on the wagon" in January! 

Or, if you want to get a jumpstart on your weightloss, you can do what I did and get a stomach bug.  Those are always fun!  And they come with the added benefit that you don't really feel like eating much for days!







1 comment:

Ashley said...

Very cute! I really enjoyed reading this! I was just thinking about how tight my jeans were getting, but instead of holding off, I think I'm going to go get a glass of eggnog before it goes bad in the fridge! = ) Thanks for the excuse, Christie!

 
Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs