Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Losing Some LBs.

I had a request to share with y'all how I lost weight last year. And, after the overindulging I did over Christmas (really since Halloween!), I figure I could use a refresher course, too.

I didn't do anything scientific. In fact, I failed big time at all diets that I tried -- Weight Watchers, South Beach, etc. I always, always cheated when I was on a diet, and I hated having some diet tell me what I could and couldn't eat or how much I could eat. I know that is how you lose weight, but I just couldn't ever follow the rules!

I finally found something that worked for me, so here is what I did...

1. I ate (still do) one of my smoothies for breakfast every morning, and I have a cup of regular coffee with Splenda and fat free half and half. Then I don't eat again until lunch.

2. For lunch, I kind of eat whatever. I don't really stress over what I eat during this meal, and it has to last me most of the day because I don't eat again until almost supper time. Sometimes it is leftovers from the night before, sometimes a sandwich, sometimes I go by Chick-fil-A. But, if I do that, I only get a sandwich and a water or diet lemonade -- no fries.

3. I do not snack in the afternoon until around 4 or later if I can stand it. I do have a snack, or else I would be stuffing my face the entire time I am cooking dinner. I usually try to eat something like the 100 calorie pack chocolate covered pretzels, or an energy bar, or sometimes some cheese and crackers.

4. For dinner, I usually cook something from skinnytaste.com, Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast, or just a meat and a veggie. I used to cook a big meal with at least one starch every night, but my kids don't really eat rice, and they don't like macaroni (there is something seriously wrong with them...), so I realized that I was just doing that for Brad and me. So, I stopped cooking starches altogether, and it made a huge difference. I also started doing a lot of the veggies that you steam in the microwaveable bag -- some of them can taste kind of watery (like the green beans), but they are quick, easy, and very healthy!

5. I walk. And walk. And walk. I do not believe in running. I don't live near a gym. I am on the outs with the elliptical machine. So, I walk. Outside. This weather lately has not been conducive to walking, and I can definitely tell a difference in my thighs -- and I am not talking in a good way -- so I am ready to get back out there!

6. Things I cut out: eating every 2 or so hours, eating dessert every night, drinking milk, weeknight wine/beer (and I try to cut back on the weekend, too), grazing at parties.

Mmmmm...I think that's it! I hope some of it is helpful. Like I said, nothing scientific, but it is what worked for me. Now I just have to get back at it!

2 comments:

I'maNolaGirl said...

Inspiring!!! I have got to commit to something. I needed this little boost to get me going!

Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing your success tips! I'm excited to check out the recipe sites you shared.

I definitely need to pay attention to how often I'm eating and what I'm choosing to eat (wow - that a shocking revelation). I also know I have to stop my candy addiction..which starts by not having it in the house - it's too easy to grab from the pantry.

I just need to make the commitment and stick to it. Maybe if I posted something on my blog - making it "public" - I would stick to it and hold myself more accountable. I'll think about it...in the meantime, wish me luck...I'm gonna need it!

And again, you look fantastic!

 
Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs