Friday, January 22, 2010

A Reminder

Miss Priss didn't have school this morning because of a teacher workday (Monday and Friday off in one week, really?!?!?), so we got to sleep in this morning. The bad thing about getting to sleep in is that we seem to always start our day off in a rush if we do it. Sassy and Bubba still had school, so once we all got up, we got up running.

Well, all of us, that is, except for Bubba. He was in Mr. Disagreeable mode. I went to put on his pants, and he ran away. I went to put on his shirt, and he ran away. I got one boot on, but he wouldn't let me put the other one on. When I went to put on his coat, he insisted on wearing his raincoat -- backwards.

The girls weren't exactly little saints this morning, either. They were playing when they should have been getting ready, and they tried to dress like it was 90 degrees outside rather than 40. I had to beg Miss Priss to put on her Uggs so that she would at least have something warmer on her feet than her church shoes.

It was cold and wet when we headed to the car, and Bubba, wearing his hood over his face, ran smack dab into the corner of the car door. So, of course, he had a meltdown. That was also when I realized that The Farmer forgot to take out the trash before he left this morning. So I, running late already, had to drag the darn trashcan to the curb before I could take the kids to school. Then when I got in the car, Bubba was having a meltdown because he wanted his sunglasses and he suddenly wanted to brush his teeth -- even though I had been begging him to do it a couple of minutes before, and all he would do was run away from me (are you sensing a pattern here?)!

Needless to say, I was a bit perturbed when we arrived at school. I was just ready to be rid of the kids for a couple of hours.

Then we walked into the doors of the school, and hanging there in the entrance was some of the kids' artwork, and a copy of Proverbs 15:13: A happy heart makes the face cheerful...

I just had to laugh at myself in that moment. Because, really? I needed to get a grip. I definitely didn't have a happy heart in that moment. I let myself get so stressed and irritated so quickly over the silliest things. And Bubba is two. It's his job to be a complete pain-in-the-you-know-what sometimes. And it's my job to be his patient, kind, and loving mother. Because a happy heart makes the face cheerful...

Thank you, Lord. I needed that reminder this morning. and I will admit that my day got considerably better after that gentle reminder!

1 comment:

 
Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs