Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Home Building: The Latest

Well, we are rolling right along with our little construction site.

And I tell you what, it is a lot more exciting to go out to look at the progress of our house now that there is actually something to look at! I need to get some more pictures, but I don't have any for you tonight. I do have a couple of updates, though:

1. They started framing the house last Tuesday. At first Robert said that it would take 3-4 months to frame, but now he is saying 12 weeks. Now, I know that 3 months and 12 weeks is six in one hand, half dozen in the other, but I am hoping that now that he has moved to using weeks instead of months that the amount of time will start to dwindle down a little. If you ask me, 12 weeks still sounds like an awfully long time for framing. We are not building the Taj Mahal.

2. I had my first meeting with our designer last Thursday. I hesitated whether or not to use a designer during our construction, but if you know me at all, you know that I am pretty indecisive. And, I know what I want the house to look like, but I don't know how to get that from in my head to reality. Virginia is going to help me with all of that. During our first meeting, I showed her our house plans and told her my ideas for the house, and she shot out some ideas that went along with what I had said. I left that meeting so excited for the house to be finished -- now I just have to wait for it.

3. Today Virginia and I met at Ferguson to plan out our plumbing order. Two hours later, I left, very excited but very nervous. I know our first plumbing plan is going to go over our allowance, so we will then have to go back and scale it down or make substitutions to it. I was telling Brad tonight, I know we have our overall amount that we are budgeting for the house and our overall amount that we are budgeting for plumbing, but then when I see how much one sink costs or how much one bathtub costs and then we start to add them up, it sort of gives me heart palpitations. I guess the larger numbers don't seem quite as real to me, if that makes any sense? I mean, I know they are -- and they are all coming out of our pocket -- but the smaller ones adding up just seem to hit home more. I don't know...maybe I am the only one who sees things that way!

4. Next on our agenda is cabinets and lighting.

Now that we are making actual decisions that have to do with the inside of the house, it is all starting to feel more real to me, like it might actually be happening! Pictures to come soon...

4 comments:

LP17 said...

Have you seen the new gigantic Restoration Hardware catalog? It has some AMAZING lighting...it made me want to build a house around a chandelier! Xoxo.

Mandy said...

Excited for you all! Can't wait to see pics.

Pinot after Playdates said...

awesome! I can't wait to see some pictures!thanks for confirming that it was "The thong song" that has been keeping me up at night :)

Katie said...

Yay! You'll be able to visualize rooms/spaces so much better now that the framing is underway...happy designing!

 
Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs